Clear all

DIY battery

28 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
Topic starter
(@sparky9)

So, I have a used super soco ts1200r, and the battery is 50% used up.  I am thinking of doing a DIY pack, any advice?  I have built battery packs before and know how to solder, so this isnt an issue.  I wonder if I use the BMS and plug hardware in the old battery if everything would be fine?  I plan on making a pack with more cells so that I have more AH, Im thinking somewhere in the 40-50 AH range, this way I will have way way more range per charge.  thanks to all that have any advice/warnings before I get started on this project!

Mike

27 Replies
1 Reply
Super Honda
(@super-honda)

Estimable Member

So, I have a used super soco ts1200r, and the battery is 50% used up. 

Seriously! in other words, it only holds for half the range now?, how long distance have you been driving with it?

Topic starter
(@sparky9)

so nobody has tried building a DIY battery for their super soco?  Thats surprising considering how expensive they are...

(@supersocogt)

Hi. I am interested on making a better battery for my ts1200r as well. 

How much will you spend building it? 

How long did you use your battery before getting it to that 50%?

1 Reply
(@sparky9)

@supersocogt

I bought the TS used only a week ago.  If I do this and Im not sure I will as I have gotten no feedback here.  I read somewhere about how if you dont use the original BMS the bike wont register your SOC properly.  So, I guess I will take apart the original battery remove the BMS and charging socket, and build a battery using those bits.  I assume it will work...

Well, I have an awesome supplier of new and barely used cells in the states.  batteryhookup dot com.  Awesome awesome awesome awesome.  I have bought batteries from them in the recent past, so I am not worried about that part in the least.

Just hoping I could get some feedback on re-using the BMS and if it might give me headaches or if it should be good ... hoping to find somebody that has done this very thing themselves...

Super Honda
(@super-honda)
Estimable Member

All third-party batteries have so seen so far has been connected in series with the original battery, no one seems to have succeeded in copying the BMS or the identification that the original battery provides.
Isn't it better to just open the original battery and change to new cells?
Then you build one more battery that can fit beside and parallel them, if you destroy the original's BMS then your smoked!

Parallel connected;

Original inside with BMS;

How the parallel battery connects;

8 Replies
(@sparky9)

@super-honda

hey super honda, thank you for the great information there!  I was hoping on something like this.  🙂  so I cant seem to find a definitive answer as to if the cells are Lifepo4 or simple Lithium ion?  I do like the idea of imply replacing the cells in the original enclosure then getting a new pack like what you linked to there.  Actually today and tomorrow Aliexpress has their singles day sale going on (Nov 11 every year) where you can buy a lot of stuff on super good sales.  Im sure you are already aware of this though eh?  🙂

(@socobelfast)

Eminent Member

@super-honda

I'm currently working on building a secondary battery, and I'd like to connect it up in parallel as you describe here. Can you describe in detail what the photos illustrate? How exactly do you wire the second battery in parallel to the first?

(@socobelfast)

Eminent Member

From what the picture suggests, I just wire the new battery's positive and negative discharge into the controller together with the original battery. Is that correct?

May seem like a dumb question, but I'm going for 5Ah 21700 Samsung cells, in a 16s6p configuration. Will this cause issues with the controller?

Super Honda
(@super-honda)

Estimable Member

Like individual cells, you can combine similar batteries together in parallel. Dependent upon the battery and the battery management system that is built into the battery. Not all lithium batteries are created equal – especially cheaper batteries.
Just make sure they are close to the same voltage when you connect them.

(@socobelfast)

Eminent Member

@super-honda

Thanks for the reply. I have a BMS from vruzend.com that's rated for the correct configuration. The cells are genuine Samsung cells, but they're not 18650, they're 21700, and they're 5Ah each. So if I configure them as being 16s6p I will have a 60V 30Ah battery, exactly the same as the original. You think the controller will handle it OK if I wire it in as pictured above?

Super Honda
(@super-honda)

Estimable Member

Absolutely, as you see on the pictures in the first post, just an example, but you cxan find that there is a lot of chinesee suppliers who provides similar batteries, so it must work well!

(@socobelfast)

Eminent Member

@super-honda

Thanks mate. I use the bike for delivering food, and at the moment one battery lasts for about 2-3 hrs. Then I'm stuck at home for 2hrs 30 mins or so waiting for it to charge back up. So I plan on building two spare batteries and being able to swap them out.

I figure the best thing would be to wire another cable to the controller with the same battery connector on the other end. That way I can use the same charger for my DIY batteries, and have one charging at home while I'm out working. All I would need to then carry on working would be a quick "pit stop" at home.

The cells I'm using are compact enough that two spares will fit in the cavity, so I'm thinking I could actually wire a third battery in exactly the same way, extending the capacity to 90Ah total. If I succeed (and I plan on completing the project over the holidays) I'll be sure to post the results.

(@tc-can)

consider connecting the positive of the second battery together with the always voltage side of the on off breaker (voltage will be present from the original battery with the breaker off check with meter) then the negative to the controller with a ring terminal as picture above. 

Super Honda
(@super-honda)
Estimable Member

It is ordinary 18650 lithium cells of good qality inside (LG/Samsung), no Lifepo4:s

One stock battery for TC/30AH reviewed on another forum has 153 LG cells(LGGBMH11865) inside.

Configuration 17s9p can be read on the BMS;

Aliexpress has a lot of good battery sellers, and cheap! Has bought several batterys there - always secure that you get good quality cells from Japan instead och cheap chineese ones, use to be options in some better stores there.

My electrical Oset trial bike, conveted to Litium (48v 20Ah) and some examples of batterys with quality cells;

1 Reply
(@socomods)

Trusted Member

@super-honda

can you recommend a seller there? i tried asking basic questions of several, but i believe language was a major issue, i could not get useful answers

Page 1 / 2