Clear all

Insulate battery box

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
 Rabm
Topic starter
(@rabm)

Hello, today the temperature dipped from the morning to the afternoon and I noticed a drop in performance as the battery temperature decreased. I also got home with 10% less range, although I was also fighting against the wind. 

On inspection of the battery department, it's really flimsy and quite exposed. I'm thinking of taping it up and adding some polystyrene and cut up space blanket to the outside and inside to insulate the battery better. 

Anyone else tried something similar? 

4 Replies
(@paris123)
Eminent Member

Thats a great idea! But the battery location has no space for that, it’s all so tight in the bike box...

Also with cold and wind against you will decrease battery more than 10% extra. I talk from experience.

Rabm
Topic starter
(@rabm)

I've wrapped the battery in a thin mylar blanket from Decathlon, with the heat-absorbing gold layer on the outside.

I'll then wrap the inside of the box with the gold layer showing out into the box (like a McClaren F1! ) and then take off the fairing on each side to wrap the outside of the box with the silver, cold-deflecting layer showing out. People insulate their homes with mylar blankets now, so this should be enough to insulate the box and keep the battery temp consistent.

I'll update with my results.

1 Reply
(@paris123)

Eminent Member
Posted by: Rabm

I've wrapped the battery in a thin mylar blanket from Decathlon, with the heat-absorbing gold layer on the outside.

I'll then wrap the inside of the box with the gold layer showing out into the box (like a McClaren F1! ) and then take off the fairing on each side to wrap the outside of the box with the silver, cold-deflecting layer showing out. People insulate their homes with mylar blankets now, so this should be enough to insulate the box and keep the battery temp consistent.

I'll update with my results.

Let US know

Super Honda
(@super-honda)
Estimable Member

If you believe in isolating, there is space between the outer side covers and the battery box, on both sides. Theese two pictures shows that the Y-module can get placed both sides.

But my thoughts;
1. You keep the battery indoors before you go, the temperature inside it can not cold down before you run out of it.
2. You drive a short distance, parking outside in freezing cold weather,leave it in there for several hours/during a work day, than the insulation adds very little to prevent capacity losses.