New electric motorbike: Horwin CR6

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Gui
Topic starter
(@gui)

Hi guys,

I'm sure we're all excited about new models coming into the market. I'd dare to say that in Europe in general the market lacks good options given the regulations.

Just spotted the announcement of the Horwin CR6, that will be launched in the UK early March.

Anyone has any real world info about this model? At £5,047 OTR for 6.2kw and 3 hours charge I find it not bad.

Any thoughts?

Edit: max power is 6.2kw, not 7.2kw

6 Replies
(@moose)
Eminent Member

In some ways I like it. Slightly more powerful than the TC max would be welcome. That said, for the extra money it's a very small power difference on the non-pro model.

While I'd like the pro for practising for my test with gears it seems odd to stick a manual transmission on an electric bike. I'd personally prefer a setup like Zero uses, where you're using a foot brake for the back and have ABS brakes rather than the CBS you get on this and the Soco TC Max.

Feels to me like there is still a notable gap in the market between the cheapest Zero and the TC Max that this doesn't really fill. I guess a lot of that varies by market - apparently in the US this is not much cheaper than the cheapest Zero while it's half the price here in the UK. If Zeros came down in price here then that gap could close quite substantially!

I hope that by the time my TC Max is past it's best that there are more compelling alternatives than this, but am still happy to see more options on the market 🙂

1 Reply
(@motonewb)

@moose where I'm yet to ride a Soco I have a CR6.

My longest journey was from Bodmin to Ginnislake (via liskard)

Resulting in remain 6% SOC.

you can use google maps to see gradients and road speeds.

It for me so far is all about the recharge time.

Top speed I got was 56mph.

Bad sides: it's been back to the dealers 3 times. Once for new charge unit and 3rd time for new ECU. The 2nd time was just something stupid like new kick stand switch TBF.

(@flyingelectric)
Estimable Member

It finds it path between TC-max and Zero motorcycle as well as the price span. However its 6,300 € before the grant. The grant I suspect is as "true" as a politicians word are true so be sure to use the grant pretty fast if you'd like to use it.

I read in the linked article that the charger "should" charge to full in 3 hours. For a big battery that is a very fast charger at almost 3000w charged electrons per hour. And that the acceleration was 6 seconds 0 to 100km / h. Pretty fast if real world values say the same in the future.

Gui
Topic starter
(@gui)

Well,

The price difference is £798 (£5,047 vs £4,249) for the non-Pro model.

These are the main differences I spotted:

• Max power: 6.2kw (against 5kw)

• Max torque: 260Nm (against 180Nm)

• Battery: 72v / 55Ah (against 72v / 45Ah)

• Charge: 3 hours for 80% / non-removable battery (7 hours with option to remove the battery)

• Range: up to 150km (against 100km)

• Weight: 134kg (against 100kg)

Providing these numbers are true in real world, is it worth the extra price? I don't know. What do you guys think?

2 Replies
(@moose)

Eminent Member

@gui I'm a bit sceptical on the range, the battery isn't so much bigger while the bike is a chunk heavier so I doubt it'll be 50% longer ranged. Better efficiency is possible though so I hope I'm wrong 🙂

Also out of curiosity where did you get the figures above? I googled for the bike but found varied numbers for it's specs and price which made it kinda hard to work out how much power it would actually have or how much it would cost. Power estimates varying from 5kW to 11kW and prices varying substantially (checked if they claimed to include the gov incentive too so no idea why they were so different).

e.g. rechecking just now I can see for example a 6.2kW / 57mph claim on a >5k bike here: https://stagmotorcycles.co.uk/collections/horwin/products/horwin-cr6
while i can find a 7.2kW / 59mph for ~4.9k here https://gb.e-scooter.co/horwin-cr6/ with it showing the pro as having a higher 11kW / 65mph figure for £5.8k here https://gb.e-scooter.co/horwin-cr6-pro/ although most sources I could find suggested that the pro had the same power as the non-pro, just an added gearbox. So I'm confused :S The horwin site itself doesn't give power figures for the pro, though the non-pro says 6.2kW so I assume that bit is true. Assuming the pro is the same motor as other places suggest then your figures are all confirmed bar price, which I can't seem to match anywhere.

I'm coming around to it's potentially slightly higher power figure as a good upgrade though with the same top speed I still have some scepticism about how much the power will actually help. Then again, I can't get near that claimed top speed on the flat, so maybe just being able to get closer would be enough, especially at the lower price point you've found! I'd be sad to go to a chain though, as low maintenance on belts is a nice plus for me and on the gear-less model a chain shouldn't be needed.

Gui
(@gui)

@moose

Apologies, I should have been cleared on the references from the beginning.

There are two versions of the bike, CR6 and CR6 Pro. The specs are from the official European website https://www.horwin.eu/cr6 and from the brochure[here]. Spoiler alert: the CR6 Pro is rated at 11kw, 303nm of torque (!) and 105kmh max speed.

The price of £5,047 OTR includes the plug-in grant in the UK and was confirmed by their Facebook page.

The bikes ship 16th March.

I’m glad to see new options actually coming to the market at a lower price - just wonder how it could affect/compare with TC Max owners.