Kelly controller on the SOCO TS

29 Posts
11 Users
6 Likes
34.8 K Views
escubic
(@escubic)
Estimable Member

thank you  @puntofato for sharing your findings with us. Can you share your settings of the Kelly controller from the config program? Do you know which cut-off current the BMS of your TS 26 Ah battery has? Did you encounter any problem with balancing currents (when your aux battery charges the Super Soco Battery momentarily)? @tomp experienced problems when connecting two TC batteries in parallel

1 Reply
puntofato
(@puntofato)

Trusted Member

Hello my friend. 

I bought my TS with 30Ah battery. I think it is around 50A the maximum current.

The controller has adjustable limitation for the current of the battery. I have set it to 70% with the 2 batteries. I am afraid for the life of the motor. 

Without the second battery it would cut off during hard acceleration even with 40% limitation.

I have not experienced problems with the balance of the batteries since they are the same in voltage. Both 17S 9p original and 17S 7P auxiliary and charged the same. Only after a long downhill with REGEN, it might start flashing but it won't cut power like the original controller did. 

puntofato
Topic starter
(@puntofato)
Trusted Member

Hello fellow riders.

Here are the final results of the UPGRADE.

-1. For the first time in its life my SOCO TS has travelled more than 100kms in less than one battery charge. Took it for another ride today outside of the city in villages around, starting from 95% and finally parked it at 12% after 110,5kms.

-2. The bike is very powerful. In fact it is faster than ANY 50cc (which is its class) scooter or anything until 60km/h. It can also CLIMB ANYTHING, EVEN AT FULL SPEED! Keep in mind that I have limited the battery current and phase current both at 70% from the settings!

-3. Top speed for the KELLY KLS7218-S is 65km/h and less. If you wish to keep it LEGAL you can use this controller. If you can deviate from the legal limit you can choose another one but keep its amps limited otherwise it might fry the motor and we don't want that! The chinese sales person suggested me to buy a model that would provide 320amps in peak power!!!

-4. Upgraded battery. I used the cells from previous models I made, and the total capacity of the bike went up to 53Ah. In parallel connection with the original battery and the new controller, the problem of the stupid lag is non existent. Let alone that I have PROPER REGEN that ACTUALLY CHARGES the battery when going downhill. In dense stop and go traffic the range goes up at least 5%. 

-5. It needs respect. I have tested it as much as I should. I won't do it anymore. The motor heats up to 45+degrees C and the controller less than 50 when I try racing other people or going very hard uphill. Also the main battery connector is safe and DOES NOT get hot at all.

If anyone wishes to upgrade the SOCO, it is a good idea. It is a brilliant frame and too bad that the original equipment is poor as far as performance and capabilities are concerned. Also it is PLAIN STUPID for anyone to buy 2 batteries that simply don't connect with each other. 

That's it....

escubic
(@escubic)
Estimable Member

@puntofato

The Kelly KLS7218S has 70,000 RPM/# pole pairs

The TC hs 54 electric poles (60 permanent magnets), that is 27 pole pairs. So the Kelly allows 70000/27 = 2593 RPM, that is  155,555 rotations/hour. Wheel circumference is 1.781 m/revolution, this is 1.781 * 155555 = 277 km/h. 

So why your Kelly has just 65 km/h?

2 Replies
puntofato
(@puntofato)

Trusted Member

Frankly speaking, I have no idea. It appears that the load and the frequency have something to do with it. Nomatter what I tried I couldn't manage to make it go faster.

One way is to get the KLS7254H although the Chinese sales person tells me that there are different versions of the motor although they claim the same power. It can be for low end torque or high speed. I still need to search more. But for a 50cc class electric moped it is a blast and will climb anything even at its top speed.

Next thing is to get a camera on it and record my rides. The bike did 280kms during the weekend. Very nice to ride.

(@theway88)

Posted by: puntofato

Frankly speaking, I have no idea. It appears that the load and the frequency have something to do with it. Nomatter what I tried I couldn't manage to make it go faster.

One way is to get the KLS7254H although the Chinese sales person tells me that there are different versions of the motor although they claim the same power. It can be for low end torque or high speed. I still need to search more. But for a 50cc class electric moped it is a blast and will climb anything even at its top speed.

Next thing is to get a camera on it and record my rides. The bike did 280kms during the weekend. Very nice to ride.

Hey punto is your bike derestricted?

Teasher
(@teasher)
Eminent Member

can tell and show how you connect parralel controller with save Dashboard from soco

1 Reply
(@flyingelectric)

Estimable Member

To get speed reading on the dash with the new controller installed do you simply connect hall wires both on the new controller and the the old ones? Can you please explain. and thanks for the cool videos and all this information!

puntofato
Topic starter
(@puntofato)
Trusted Member

Electric ride in Thessaloniki Greece 

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEahu4PN-DV6EsQrhUj8HzONmBG2FlnkM

Page 3 / 5