Notifications
Clear all

Help! Noisy back damper on CUX

4 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
(@michaelpl)

Did anyone experience a noisy damper on their Soco? It drives me mad.

I plan to spray it with my Brunox bike damper cleaner/lubricant but I do not know how to take the back panels down.

Anyone?

3 Replies
Topic starter
(@michaelpl)

folks, I solved the problem. It was lower bushing, not damper. Used silicone spray and it is silent again.

(@tomasdiazv)

Hi,

I think I have same issue, can you give more information where did you found the problem?

Thanks!

(@328isport)

Has this with mine also, its the swinging arm, in front of the rear wheel there is a long bolt that goes through the frame and swinging arm, I expect the bush inside the swinging arm is rubber with a metal sleeve, either the bolt is binding against the sleeve or the ends of the swinging arm are binding against the frame, either way its quite an issue as it limits the movement of the swinging arm too, so by the time you get the clicking noise its likely its not moving like it should.

Ideally you want to remove the long bolt and grease the swing arm bush/sleeve properly and then re-install, I'm guessing they were put together dry when built.

However I think some of the plastics will need to be removed to do this, so as a initial fix, if you lay the bike over on its left side, and grab yourself a 14mm & 17mm spanner (bolt is 14, nut is 17), you can loosen the nut, I'd then recommend turning the bolt half a turn to put it in different position, and whilst the tension is off then try with a spray grease to get some on the ends of the swinging arm bushing. Tighten back up but not fully, then lift the bike back up on to its stand and finally tighten. The bolt and nut should be marked with paint from assembly, when i did mine back up i did it about an 1/8 of a turn less than its original position, I'm going to see how this goes but expect you can just put it back to the original position with no issue if you prefer.

Once you sit back on the bike the clicking noise should have gone and you'll notice the rear end has more travel again!

To be honest I'd be inclined to recommend this as something all CUx owners should do even if you don't have the issue at the moment as preventative maintenance, I expect it is a common problem and shouldn't be left.