120 Posts
19 Users
12 Likes
18.4 K Views
PetesScaleFabShop
Topic starter
(@petesscalefabshop)
Trusted Member

So I am now reasonably happy with the settings I now have on the bike, I am just trying to dial out the speedo error.

As promised here are my settings:-

This gives me nice crisp acceleration and a top indicated speed of 100kmh (62mph) however I know that compared to my GPS speedo the speedo over reads by a couple of mph. This was on the run to work this morning with a fully charged battery and slightly up hill and little to no wind.

I am pretty sure that the only way to go faster now will be to build a new battery with a higher voltage and a fit controller to go with it.  

I still have some other mods planned for the bike including fitting a new BMS to the battery, the hack module to sort the battery gauge out with the new BMS, replacing the push button with a conventional key, I also am intending to replace the 80A circuit breaker with a relay and putting a 200A contactor in the main power wires so the key can switch all the power off apart from a small 72 to 12v convertor.

More soon.

42 Replies
(@berserk-healerpl)

@petesscalefabshop How do you program the original controller from tc max

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@berserk-healerpl 

You need a programming from golden motor :- Programing Lead 

and Lingbo software v4.0.0 :-  Software

(@berserk-healerpl)

@petesscalefabshop what is the pin layout for programming?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@berserk-healerpl Sorry, I don't understand the question.

The programing lead plugs directly into the controller @ the small connector under a rubber cover.

(@berserk-healerpl)

@petesscalefabshop what this plug looks like, can't find any unconnected plug

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@berserk-healerpl this image should help. its a small six pin connector it has a rubber cover normally.

(@berserk-healerpl)

@petesscalefabshop mine looks a little different. The photo cannot be uploaded. I put a link to the photo. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MMq_YCPZ1ZH2CEjqGNur3M52H0vMvBiU/view?usp=sharing

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@berserk-healerpl I believe you have the early type controller then, what year is yours?

(@simon_duguay)

@berserk-healerpl just received the cable from golden motor.  There is another connector on it.  Any idea what to do with it?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AhoqvERY4nrZixRUFZAQbHHEGPN98I8S/view?usp=sharing

(@bman280)

@berserk-healerpl Mine looks like yours as well. I have a TC Max Pro, manufacture date seems to be 7/2020. Here in Canada the bike is locked at 70km/h but if the controller isn't programmable how did they lock it then and more importantly how can I UNLOCK it to it's native 90 km/h? Did you figure it out?

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop Do you know the serial connector pinout? My serial-usb adapter shoud work if I know the right connection.

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb I don't know the pinout, I am not sure I even have the lead any more as I have since replaced the controller for a more powerful one that uses a different programing lead.

(@bman280)

@berserk-healerpl You are still the only one I've found with the same controller that I have. Did you ever manage to access the parameter settings? I've used an applicable cable and software but have not been able to access the settings - did you? Thanks!

(@simon_duguay)

@petesscalefabshop I just ordered the cable you mentioned.  Do you need too unplug the controller and connect only the usb? Power on the bike?  Please let me know how to connect the programming lead to the controller.

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@simon_duguay You don't need to disconnect the controller to program it, you just need to switch power off and let the USB power the controller whilst you program it.

(@dick20043)

@petesscalefabshop  

I connect to the controller, but the software cannot connect. What do you think is the problem?

(@fabulousmicke)

@petesscalefabshop This is super interesting. I got a TSx this week. It is a 2021 model and the derestrict trick does not work. As far as I can understand it works on some 2021s yielding about 58 km/h instead of 45 km/h. I assume that it does not work on my bike due to later firmware version and I have been searching for previous firmware versions and tools to downgrade. While focusing on the TC Max, this thread is the closest to the topic I have seen so far. Any ideas?

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop I can read my parameters but I can't write them, when I press upload old parameter come back. Did you had the same issue?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb from memory I didn't have any issues writing the parameters. I can't try and try as I no longer have the either the stock ecu or the VEC300 on the bike as I upgraded to a Fardriver 72530.

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop solved, it was wiring connectio. I also tested your settings. I like very much the resoult but I only found a problem with throttle respose (on-off feeling,), how can I setup it to becone more linear?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb Glad to hear you got things working. I believe that there is only one setting for the throttle response I had mine set to linear, I can't remember if this was how it was from stock or if I changed it. I don't remember mine feeling any different after I had tuned it though.

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop I can try to play with rpm and see if make the difference.

I have also another problem, on full throttle after 30 seconds shows error 90. I installed a Yanyang 100A bms and I set the average current to 100A on the controller, probably too high.

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop how are you with Fardriver controller?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb I am very happy with the fardriver controller, The gains in performance are really nice, especially when dealing with busy road juctions. I need to do some longer rides to see how badly I have reduced the range available but I suspect that it's is really not that much worse as I can get up to cruising speed much faster and then throttle back, I also need to do some data logging to see exactly what the controller is doing in use.

The problem I have now is that the rear sprocket is wearing out quite quickly, I believe partly due to the increased torque available, so I am in the process of sourcing the parts to swap over to a chaindrive.

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop in you opinion the efficiency is better than VEC300?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb I feel like it is no worse, but I have no hard data to confirm my feelings.

I have been doing the same commute for nearly 2 years on the bike, and find that I am charging the battery every 2 to 3 days (2 in the winter, 3 in the summer)  the same as I was when the bike was completely stock, (it's still the original battery).

DocWeyr
(@docweyr)

Estimable Member

@petesscalefabshop - could you please share which model of fardriver controller exactly do you use? And if this is for rist or modified version of TCmax? My is 2019 and could do with some upgrade as I am quite tall ;D

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@docweyr I am using the Fardriver ND72530. I am also using the stock motor and stock battery, although the BMS is bypassed on discharge. I have upgraded the battery cables and conectors to handle the higher current. I have also rewired the bike to remove all the electronics I didn't want. 

DocWeyr
(@docweyr)

Estimable Member

@petesscalefabshop - Thank you. What new cables do you use for battery? And what connector?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@docweyr details are earlier in this thread :-  https://supersocoforum.com/forum/postid/6258/

DocWeyr
(@docweyr)

Estimable Member

@petesscalefabshop - thank you very much. I did not notify this.

(@paslecwar)

@petesscalefabshop You’re settings are different than the one I tried but not to much.  I tried them on my bike (which is on a stand for the moment cause it’s Canada hey) and I can feel the difference with the torque and acceleration.  Can’t wait to try it but have to wait another 2 months.  Thanks for sharing.

(@paslecwar)

@petesscalefabshop Do you have the file of the original settings of the controller in UK for me?  I would like to try something here in Canada for comparison.  Thanks

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@paslecwar sorry only just noticed this.

I have some stockish settings but not completly stock. They are on my laptop which I don't have to hand at the moment. next time I have it fired up i'll try and remember to post them.

(@paslecwar)

@petesscalefabshop stockis is fine with me.

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@paslecwar 

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop 

Why do you set max rpm to 9.000?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb this is the lowest number I found worked with the field weaking to give me maximum speed. Lowering the number reduced the top speed and raising it made no noticeable difference

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member
  • @petesscalefabshop Good, this is a parameter that I didn't tested. In my last configuration I lowered the start up phase current and I enabled the boost function, I feel a better power delivery. I also worked on first and second mode lowering current and torque.
  • I'd like to ask you if you worked also on the fork. I want charge the oil and add a bit more sustained. 
PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb I haven't played with the stock forks, I replaced mine with some fully adjustable pit bike forks, as although more expensive, this was less time consuming to tune the fork response.

(@tonyb)

Eminent Member

@petesscalefabshop did you understand what is "Speed Parameter settings" and how does it work?

PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@tonyb these parameters control the rate of acceleration and deceleration, I think the numbers relate to revolutions per sec. for example, lowering the acceleration number will make the motor accelerate slower.

(@drift)
Eminent Member

Nice gains in performance there Pete. Mine barely does indicated 90kph. Look forward to see the BMS upgrade.

PetesScaleFabShop
Topic starter
(@petesscalefabshop)
Trusted Member

Been riding this a fair bit since my last update and all was going fine. I did end up changing the BMS for a 300A one (although I am still running bypass at the moment) as the stock one would only allow me to discharge down to 60%. I believe this was happening as one of the cells was discharging faster than the others and then the BMS would shut down, I was still powering the display etc from the stock discharge plug via the BMS. 

With the new BMS in this no longer occurs and stangely the low cell now seems to be behaving better.

However a week ago the bike died, whilst sat on the drive. I went to go for a ride on the Sunday and it wouldn't switch on. The power button would not switch the bike on. further investigation showed that the remote wasn't switching the immobiliser off and the red flashing LED didn't light up correctly. 

I think what caused this is that water got into the switch and then froze and shorted the switch or its wiring out. The down side of this is it appears to have killed the controller and the DC to DC convertor.

I had plans to replace the push button with a conventional ignition key anyway, so over the easter weekend I have ended up stripping the wiring loom off the bike and deleted all the extra bits I no longer wanted (GPRS module, immobiliser/alarm and the push button) I also decided to install a different dash and new headlights. I have also installed the Golden Motor VEC300 I had on the shelf so that the bike can be ridden again, well almost I need the new DC to DC convertor to arrive.

I went for a CT-22 dash and a twin 90mm round headlights fitted with H4 led bulbs. The ignition key switch is a cheapo from amazon. I have also fitted some smaller indicators (again cheap ones from amazon)

All the wiring is complete the dash works, but needs to be mounted correctly and setting up. The lights work, but need aligning. I haven't test ridden it yet as I don't trust the 2A dc to dc convertor to work long enough for a useful test. So until the new 20A (stock is 10A) one arrives I can't say how differently the VEC300 works compared to the stock controller. 

I didn't take any pics during the work but this is what she looks like now (needs a clean).

I'll be back with an update once I have had chance to test all the changes.

(@drift)
Eminent Member

Nice one Pete! That dash looks proper factory! I'd prefer a normal key too but not sure I can be bothered unless it breaks. I'd like to remove the alarm though. Any tips on that?

CentrJPN
(@centrjpn)

guys, tell me where and what kind of BMS to buy?

the motorcycle does not see the battery..

1 Reply
PetesScaleFabShop
(@petesscalefabshop)

Trusted Member

@centrjpn I got one from Aliexpress. just search for Super Soco BMS.

Page 3 / 7