timeline of problems on my TS
After months of problems with my Super Soco I find it usefull to make a post where the whole timeline is put together in one post.
The battery connector has molten into the accu, therefore it’s impossible to remove the battery out of the Super Soco.
The Super Soco is completely fixed from the molten connector, now it’s all working again.
On this day I made the purchase of the second battery and the paralleler. Also installed the paralleler myself, tutorial right here: https://supersocoforum.com/forum/tutorials/installation-battery-paralleler/#post-1306
One battery suddenly died, I was riding a big tour of around 70 km. Suddenly the battery gave 0% on the display.
I brought the Super Soco to la Souris to get the battery fixed.
After waiting for 6 weeks I still got no information about what la Souris did or any conclusions. So calling la Souris every day now to get it fixed.
After calling these three days I finally got the information that the battery will be replaced with a complete new one.
The error 88 started occcuring, it was annoying to not be able to fully use the range of the Super Soco but it was possible to ride the bike without big problems.
I brought the Super Soco to la Souris Utrecht so they could fix my Super Soco from the error 88 code.
I sent an email to la Souris because I didn't got any response since I brought the Super Soco on 22/09/2019.
After the mail of 3/10/2019 I was able to get the bike on this day. They updated the controller to "fix" the problem.
After three days the Super Soco already gave me the error code 88 again. The error was even worse. First I was able to drive but at this moment both batteries gave up and the moped glitched a lot. On the positive side, the bike was smoother and faster than before. (when the error didn't occur)
Now the bike is completely broken. The connector on the paralleler has molten down. Maybe some sort of short circuit, still no clue what happened.
12/11/2019 - 9/12/2019
They are fixing the molten connector at the moment. After three weeks, since the moped is broken, contacting them (because they are not reaching out to us) we finally got the information that it's fixed. The only problem is that the alarm of the Super Soco also was broken for a reason. The alarm was my own responsibility for a reason that I don't know.
That was very strange but okay, we asked if they could put the part into the trunk of the Super Soco so we could let it check what happened. Unfortunately not happened.
After waiting for a month to fix the Super Soco I finally got him back! But the joy was soon away when I tried to drive the Super Soco. The moped now give the error 95 😔. Now the Super Soco is almost undriveble again.
They also did a new update for the Super Soco. They didn’t mention it anywhere, I only know because I know the bike really well.
Today I did 4 km in 15 minutes because the Super Soco almost didn't give any power. Here is a video of how it drives right now:
Sad to read! I also recognize my problems in this list. Also with my alarm which died. It’s an factory error.
The Super Soco came exactly a week ago from the dealer. Now a week later the Super Soco functions exactly as it needs to do. So finally after a year my Super Soco is back again!